Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Movies- List

As the year comes to a close, here's a look back at the films I got excited about in 2010; best films I saw this year.

Having not seen everything this year, this list is not a complete best of. It's a list of films that inspired me to make movies of my own, to pursue loftier goals in my Pixar work, made me wish I had made them. The jealousy barometer is the one I most closely trust nowadays, so here goes. The 'I wish I did that' list of 2010, in no particular order.


Social Network
A movie about greed, ambition, and the cost of their pursuit using YOUR favorite social networking app as the medium for it's exploration. Fincher and Sorkin knock it out of the park here. I love 'relationships as plot' films and this is one of the best examples I can think of. The film functions as a social commentary, a historical document and an astute observation of the human condition and it's paradoxes. It's talking about real stuff here. There have been disputes about it's factual accuracy, but that is hardly the point, demonstrating once again the difference between fact and truth. A movie I love, respect and admire. David Fincher's best film IMO.


Black Swan
I'm a huge Darren Aronofsky fan. I saw Pi in college, it blew my mind and my thesis film from that year wears it's influence on it's sleeve. Black Swan is his most accessible film so far, despite being set in the notoriously insular world of modern ballet. The ideas at work are very similar to The Wrestler- how far are you willing to go to pursue your art?, where the Wrestler wins over Swan, is the Wrestler screenplay answers in very definite terms WHY, whereas Swan is content to shorthand that a bit. Despite some issues I've heard and can agree with in relation to the script, I think Aronofsky's inspired and brilliant direction more than makes up for them, and in some cases turns the potential weaknesses into strengths. The opening scene HAD me, and the film never let me go. Natalie Portman is staggeringly good in this film, giving one of the best performances I've seen in a while. Aronofsky is a modern American master director and one of the original voices working in film today.


True Grit
If you were to make a list of stuff I like in movies, The Coen Brothers, Westerns and revenge movies would figure prominently. So...yeah. Loved it. It isn't what I expected AT ALL; I figured I was in for 'No Country for... Young...Women" or something, and I got the Big Lebowski in western gear. Which...is awesome by me. The Coens are the best filmmakers working today, bar none.


Winter's Bone
Another film featuring a tough,driven female heroine taking on a traditionally male role and nailing it to the wall. This is the film I think I most admire this year, all things considered. Brilliant and authentic, gritty but from a uniquely female perspective that gives the movie a really unique and refreshing quality. The 'you'll have to kill me to stop me' trope so often infused with simple macho bravado in lesser movies operates with such real, deep pathos and peril in Winter's Bone, that it takes a potentially standard chase, investigation film and turns it into exploration of identity, family, responsibility and personal sacrifice. A film about what we give up to become whole. Loved it.


How To Train Your Dragon
Great film, beautifully made, and well told. Elevated pretty well trod subject matters and themes with great visuals, interesting character dynamics, sublime animation and brilliant filmmaking. The film earns so much love from me for really taking it's time to build the relationship, and invest us in it.
The best film Dreamworks has made.


Toy Story 3
Super biased for this, but bear with me. More than anything, I always respected the ambition of the film to speak plainly and honestly about accepting one's mortality, and that to love fully means sometimes saying goodbye. These themes are at the heart of the conceit's central analogy and are absolutely universal; one of- if not the main- criteria I use to think about films. We ALL die, we ALL lose loved ones. What do we do about it? That's what Ts3 is shooting at.

I should say haven't seen the kings speech, 127 hours, blue valentine and a few others people are going nuts over.

I should also say that I loved Tangled and Inception for honorable mentions.

All in all. Great year for movies I thought.
What did you see/like/love?

29 comments:

Quentin Lebegue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quentin Lebegue said...

Yeah, The Social Network and Toy Story 3 are the two best films I have seen this year. Together with Inception, they're the ones I saw multiple times at the theater.

How To Train Your Dragon was a blast too, amazing relationship between Hiccup and Toothless. I hope DreamWorks will be doing more films like this one !

I'm looking forward to seeing Black Swan, True Grit, Winter's Bone, The King's Speech and 127 Hours, all of which haven't been released here in France yet.

Can't wait to see them.

January-February is the best time to go to the theater over here ! Last year we got Up in the Air, A Serious Man, Fantastic Mr Fox and The Ghost Writer, which I loved. I think they were released in the USA in 2009, but I guess I'll still call them 2010 movies.

Let's hope that 2011 will be as great as 2010 as far as movies are concerned !

Meghan Jean said...

True Grit was not what I expected either. I think the Coen Brothers toe this line a lot in their films, but I felt at times the writing was too apparent. Some great characters in there for sure, but Winter's Bone, which had a lot of parallels, felt much more authentic, more nuanced. I enjoyed both, but Winter's Bone was the more impactful and satisfying film of the two for me.

Overall, I'm happy to see so many leading ladies in this year's crop of films--even though I loathed the insipid nature of Natalie Portman's character, Aronofsky's direction made it tolerable and the payoff was worth it in the end.

Good post! Curious to hear your thoughts on some of the ones you mentioned at the end. Inception, all hype aside, was in my top 3 this year.

Jamesense said...

Great selection, I have to agree that The Social Network definietly stood out, It blew me away with its soundtrack alone. There aren't enough films out there that even try to make these sorts of social commentaries.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

One of my big short-comings of 2010 was not seeing Toy Story 3 on the big screen in 3D. It would had been an privilege since rated G film masterworks with good storytelling are rare these days. We can live with disappointments.

oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton, nike air max, coach outlet, red bottom shoes, true religion outlet, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, tiffany jewelry, longchamp outlet online, nike free, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet store, longchamp handbags, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton outlet online, tiffany and co jewelry, polo ralph lauren, coach purses, ray ban outlet, chanel handbags, christian louboutin, nike outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, jordan shoes, burberry outlet online, kate spade outlet online, tory burch outlet online, michael kors outlet online sale, true religion, louis vuitton handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors handbags, prada outlet, coach outlet, oakley vault, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online

oakleyses said...

nike trainers, bottega veneta, mcm handbags, nike huarache, ugg outlet, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, babyliss, insanity workout, ugg outlet, herve leger, canada goose outlet, ghd, mont blanc pens, uggs on sale, north face jackets, ugg boots clearance, nike roshe, p90x workout, replica watches, lululemon outlet, reebok shoes, instyler ionic styler, marc jacobs outlet, chi flat iron, canada goose outlet, north face jackets, hollister, birkin bag, valentino shoes, canada goose outlet, jimmy choo shoes, vans outlet, ugg, wedding dresses, ugg boots, new balance outlet, asics shoes, ugg soldes, beats headphones, soccer shoes, ferragamo shoes, uggs outlet, longchamp, soccer jerseys, nfl jerseys, giuseppe zanotti, celine handbags, mac cosmetics

bonenb said...

I really liked this part of the article, with a nice and interesting topics have helped a lot of people who do not challenge things people should know.. You need more publicize this so many people who know about it are rare for people to know this... Success for you.....!!!

mithun said...


great article!!!!!This is very importent information for us.I like all content and information.I have read it.You know more about this please visit again.


123 HP PS 6520 Setup

Unknown said...

2017 Movies

3nod maka said...

من اهم المميزات التي تقدمها الان مقدمة من كبري شركات العنود في تنظيف خزانات مكة المكرمة اي انهمي عملون علي توفير خدمات المميزة في تنظيف كنب بالبخار مكة المركمة وهنا يمكنكم التمتع بافضل تتنظيف في تنظيف منازل مكة المركمة وهنا احصلوا علي افضل جلي بلاط مكة المكرمة التي تعمل جديا علي تنظيف رخام وتوفر لكم اكبر شركة مكافحة الارضة مكة المركمة الكبري

Nashwa Mostafa said...

تركيب شبك ازاله الأوساخ من الدرايش شركة تركيب طارد حمام بالمدينة0540906041

تركيب اشواك طارد حمام بالمدينة

تركيب شبك مانع للحمام المزعج

غسيل وتعقيم الخزانات الارضيه والعلويه بالمدينة

شركة تنظيف شقق وغسيل خزانات وكنب بالمدينة

تركيب طارد الحمام على أسطح المباني العامة والمنازل بالمدينة
تنظيف الكنب والبطرمه والسجاد بالمدينة

------------------
تنظيف خزانات بالمدينه المنوره
شركة غسيل خزانات
غسيل خزانات مع التعقيم بالمدينة

حيث نقوم بخدمات تنظيف خزانات المياه بتصريح من وزارة الصحة

النسر الذهبي لتنظيف وتطهير الخزانات باستخدام احدث التقنيات وبارخص اسعار شركات تنظيف الخزانات على مستوي المملكة
تنظيف مسابح بالمدينة

جوال وواتس اب 0540906041

rabbit gravy said...

rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy
rabbit gravy

شركة رواد الحرمين said...

بموقع مؤسسة الحرمــين فخدماتنا ليس لها بديل واسعارنا ليس لها مثيل ،ولدينا فريق عمل يتصل مع العملاء على جسور الثقه
شركه تنظيف منازل بالجبيل
والصدق والامانه فى العمل ، وهدفنا هو ارضاؤك وراحتك ، لا تقلق ونحن معك

شركه عزل فوم بالجبيل
لا تجهد نفسك ونحن تحت امرك ورهن اشارتك .
أبرز خدمات مؤسسة الحرمــين للمقاولات العامة بالدمام والرياض

شركه عزل فوم بالدمام


شركه عزل اسطح بالاحساء



شركه كشف تسربات المياه بالاحساء



abcfq said...


Cold
Undersea animals
Tourist attraction
Star
Flower

jangjang said...

พระเงินพระทอง
จุดสุดยอด
ทัศนคติผู้หญิง
สัตว์ตัวโปรด
แต้วกับไฮโซหนุ่ม
A good article gives a lot more knowledge about this. I will continue to support your work. Thank you.

jangjang said...

บอลออนไลน์กับบอลโต๊ะ
แทงมวยออนไลน์ ทางเลือกใหม่ของนักพนัน
A good article gives a lot more knowledge about this. I will continue to support your work. Thank you.
ไก่ชนที่ไม่ต้องเหนื่อยไปให้ถึงสนาม

IAHIA said...

"ตำนาน ข้องใจ>> ข่าวฟุตบอล "

garin said...

investment website http://ufabetprowin.com/

bossanova.1123@gmail.com said...

เว็บคาสิโน
สูตรเกมสล็อต
เว็บพนันออนไลน์
เว็บคาสิโน ไม่ผ่านเอเย่นต์
เกมยิงปลาได้เงินจริง

rong said...

สล็อต wallet
The material I read that I really like it. Exchange content

โรซ่า said...

Hello, we have a game to recommend.

สูตรแทงบอลสูงต่ํา
วิธีแทงบอลออนไลน์
ตารางบาคาร่า
บอลสเต็ปออนไลน์
สูตรบาคาร่าฟรี2021

Thank you for your interest."

pupu04 said...

สูตรแทงบอลสูงต่ํา
วิธีแทงบอลออนไลน์
ตารางบาคาร่า
บอลสเต็ปออนไลน์
บาคาร่าออนไลน์ เล่นยังไง

badugisitenet said...

I’m still learning from you, as I’m trying to achieve my goals. I definitely love reading everything that is written on your site.Keep the aarticles coming.온라인바둑이

John said...

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free.สล็อตออนไลน์

John said...

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.บา คา ร่า วอ เลท

Liam said...

The post is written in very a good manner and it contains many useful information for me.เว็บสล็อตเว็บตรง

Liam said...

I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You.เว็บตรงสล็อต

pg slot said...

pg slot สำหรับผู้ใดกันที่กำลังมองหาเว็บไซต์รวมสล็อต pgslot ที่ดีเยี่ยมที่สุดศูนย์รวมค่ายเกมชั้นหนึ่งก็เกม slotxo เยอะเอามาไว้ภายในเว็บไซต์แห่งนี้บริการระบบฝาก-ถอนแบบออโต้